The WordPress Blog Service offers a very basic WordPress site with a limited number of theme and plugin options. All sites require an account through wordpress.ncsu.edu; your account ID must be the same as your Unity ID, and users will use NC State authentication to access these sites. This service is free to all campus faculty, staff, and students.
All sites will be created with a fourth-level domain of your choice. If, for example, you choose the name “mydomain” your URL will be mydomain.wordpress.ncsu.edu.
Please note that sites in the WordPress blogs environment that have not been edited in more than a year may be deleted at any time.
- Use an NC State-branded theme. (Learn more about switching themes in WordPress.)
- Follow university editorial style guidelines.
- Write with a consistent voice and tone.
- Include bold and impactful imagery.
Websites created for personal use only are not required to meet branding guidelines and may use any of the themes available in this service.
NC State University is committed to providing a barrier-free IT environment to all people. WordPress is a recommended technology for creating accessible websites. However, you must still follow basic accessibility best practices as you create content, including the following:
- Every post and page must have a title.
- Use headings to denote sections of your posts and pages.
- Add alternative text for images when adding them to posts and pages.
The university IT Accessibility Coordinator periodically leads workshops on WordPress and accessibility. You can learn more and register for the next available workshop at ClassMate. For additional information, contact OIT Design.
View the list of public and searchable WordPress Blog Sites.Get One Now!